Delve into the events leading up to that fateful day, 15th April 1865, and hear how the actor John Wilkes Booth became the first person to assassinate an American president.
DescriptionThe assassination of President Abraham Lincoln on April 14, 1865 was a watershed moment in American history. The conspiracy to attack Lincoln and the Union government was the culmination of four years of division, violence, and upheaval wrought by the Civil War as brother fought brother and neighbour fought neighbour.
What John Wilkes Booth could not anticipate as he plotted to end Lincoln's life was that the death of the 16th President would become a pivotal healing moment, uniting the country as the war ended and turning Lincoln into a martyr for the era.
- Confederate surrender at Appomattox Court House & how it leads to end of Civil War
- The original plan of John Wilkes Booth, Lincoln's assassin
- The attempted assassination of Secretary of State William Seward
- The attempted assassination of Vice President Andrew Johnson
- The successful assassination of President Abraham Lincoln
- How Lincoln's assassination affected the Confederate states' reunification
Length: 55 mins
Guide: Canden Arciniega
A detailed account of Lincoln's assassination, expertly put together and narrated by TCBC's guides. This will be very useful in the classroom, thank you!