Post Brexit travel advice

Updated: Brexit - Travelling to EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein from 1 January 2021

Since 31st January 2020, the United Kingdom ceased to be a member of the European Union. Following the transition period, from 1st January 2021 the rules for visiting EU countries for UK citizens have changed. Below you can find answers to the most commonly asked questions associated with travelling to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein after Brexit.

Do I need to renew my passport earlier if I want to travel to the EU?

Your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months from the day of your travel and also be less than 10 years old. This rule applies to EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein except for Ireland, where you can travel as usual.

To check if you need to renew your passport before travelling, visit this page.

Please see the official list of countries affected below:

EU Countries: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Vatican City.

Along with Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

What are the new visa requirements to travel to the EU?

A visa won’t be required if you travel to EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein as a tourist. Your stay can last up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

This also applies if you are travelling to more than one country in a 180-day period, you shouldn't exceed the limit of 90 days when visiting several countries within this period. The exceptions are Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia and Romania. Even if you've already spent a few weeks in any other EU country, you can still travel to any of these four countries and spend a complete period of 90 days there.

Will my European Health Insurance Card still be valid in other European states?

Yes, your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) will be valid if you’re travelling to an EU country and can be used until its expiry date. If you don't have a valid EHIC, you will have to apply for a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) that will replace your EHIC.

In some cases, you may be eligible for a new UK EHIC that will be valid for travelling to EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. You can check eligibility and apply for your healthcare cover here.

When planning your trip to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, make sure to obtain appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover prior to your trip. Please check that your insurance covers any pre-existing conditions that were previously covered by your EHIC.

Check foreign travel insurance advice here.

Will free mobile roaming end from 1st January 2021?

From 1st January 2021, free mobile roaming can no longer be guaranteed throughout the EU.

For more detailed information, please check the latest official ABTA advice and the Foreign Travel Advice site for Visit Europe from 1st January 2021. Country specific information can be found here.

Updated article, first posted on 31st January 2020